- 2021 Start Year Entry - Interview dates will be advertised mid-year 2020.
Audition and Interview
Auditions will be held in Melbourne. Each take approximately 30 minutes. Auditions will be conducted at the VCA Southbank Campus in Melbourne. Applicants will be invited by email.
Your audition will help to scope your major project and dissertation and assess the suitability of your project in terms of resource availability. We will also make an assessment of your ability to complete your project within a practice-led research environment.
You will be expected to speak to your research proposal, contextualising it within your own creative practice and research context
You will need to:
- Demonstrate a very high standard of artistic ability within Music Theatre performance.
- In addition, if you intend to make work, your audition must include a folio of original works, or live performance of original work in the audition.
- Articulate your area of research as it relates to your creative practice.
You must provide your own accompanist (if required).
The content of your audition material should be chosen to demonstrate skill in music theatre performance, as relevant to your proposed project. It should total 15 minutes duration.
For projects that centre on skills mastery
- If the aim of your project is focus on mastery of an aspect of your craft, your audition should demonstrate current skill level in that area through a selection of appropriate material.
For projects that centre of creation of new work
- You may choose to perform only samples of your original material.
- You may choose to perform a mixture of original material to demonstrate creative skill and other repertoire to demonstrate performance skill.
- Alternatively you may present a folio of work comprising recordings/show reels of your original compositions, and/or pieces of original writing for performance. In this case, you will still need to perform some material, whether original or not, to demonstrate performance skill.
- If your work partly or in whole comprises material written by another composer/writer, additional original material (written, musical or choreographic) must be presented or performed that demonstrates how the conceptual framework will define the performance of such work as a research project.
- If appropriate, include music scores and/or charts of your original works (depending on your background).
Your original material will be evaluated on the level of craft and creativity, and suitability for Music Theatre at the Honours level.
Can't attend the audition?
While we strongly recommend all applicants attend a live audition, applicants who are overseas may alternatively submit a recorded audition. If you are unable to attend, you may be contacted for a telephone interview, please indicate your availability on the Supplementary Application Form.