Music Theatre Studio 2019
Music Theatre Studio is a dynamic skills-building course modelled on the Bachelor of Fine Arts (Music Theatre). It’s challenging, it’s great fun, and it’s part time!
Through structured, practical, studio-based training and skill development, students gain professional guidance from highly experienced, friendly tutors. This course is a great way to get immersive triple-threat training alongside other young adults who share a passion for music theatre.
In this course, you will develop fundamental performance skills in a program which includes:
- Structured, practical, studio‐based training and skill development
- Professional guidance from highly experienced and friendly tutors
- Opportunity to work alongside other young adults who share a passion for music theatre
- Immersive triple threat training
- Classes in singing, dance and acting every week
- A supportive group environment
Dedicated artists, practicing educators and industry professionals who will be guiding you include:
- Phoebe Panaretos - a graduate of the VCA Bachelor of Music Theatre course in 2011 and handpicked by Baz Luhrmann to play the lead role of 'Fran' in the world premiere musical adaptation Strictly Ballroom The Musical (for which she was nominated for a Helpmann Award for Best Female In A Musical), 'Connie Francis' in Dream Lover directed by Simon Philips for the Gordon Frost Organisation, Australian premiere of American Idiot in the role of Whatsername at Brisbane's Playhouse Theatre at QPAC, directed by Craig Iloyt.
- David Butler -a graduate of the Victorian College of the Arts (Voice) and director of the David Butler Studio in Melbourne, Butler works as a vocal coach with singers, actors and public speakers in addition to liaising with the Melbourne Voice Analysis Centre in rehabilitating damaged voices. Butler's extensive performance and coaching experience spans musical theatre, opera, television and contemporary voice. His stage and performance credits include creating the role of “Frou” in the Indigenous children’s opera Laugh Out Loud, “Police Commissioner "Frank” in Strauss’ Die Fledermaus, understudying the role of “Le Dancaire” in Bizet’s Carmen and performed as soloist for Faure’s Requiem, Handel’s Messiah, Rossini’s Petite Messe, Solenelle, Purcell’s Dido & Aeneas and King Arthur. David is also Musical Director BottleSnail's production of Stephen Sondheim's Into The Woods and StageArt's season of William Finn's Falsettos.
- Trent Baker - actor, theatre director and educator graduated from the VCA Theatre Directing course in 2005 and is currently the head of acting at The National Theatre Drama School. Baker has played the title role in Macbeth for MTC Education and most recently performed in National tours of David Williamson’s Managing Carmen and Elizabeth Coleman’s Its my party and I’ll die if I want to. His television credits include; City Homicide, Tangle, Satisfaction, Neighbours, Blue Heelers, Round the Twist, On the Beach, Child Star, feature films Dingo, Frank and Jerry, The Caretaker, When Darkness Falls and the Tropfest finalist film Beggars Belief.
VCA Music Theatre training is disciplined and intense – Music Theatre Studio reflects this philosophy. Enrol now to strengthen your talents, learn new skills and take your passion for music theatre to the next level.
"The Music Theatre Studio program was personally invaluable in my journey. Not only did it provide a great deal of skills training that resulted in being accepted into the bachelor but it also provided me a microcosm of what University life would be like.
It is an excellent opportunity to train, personally grow, make new connections and have a barrel of fun in the process."
- Obed Wallis, 2018
How to apply
Entry to this course is via audition, to be held on Saturday 2 Feb 2019.
A non-refundable $30 audition fee will be charged.
Auditionees will need to be available to attend a 2.5-hour group audition between 9:30am and 5pm. No specific preparation is necessary. Exact times will be confirmed by Wednesday, 23 January 2019.
Some experience in singing, dancing or acting is recommended, though not essential.
This course is suitable for age 15 - 20 years old.
February 2019 – November 2019
(excludes breaks and public holidays)
$3,999 Full Fee
Early Bird Discounted Fee will be applicable for aplicants within the first two weeks of successful audition.