Music Theatre Studio 2018
Music Theatre Studio is a dynamic skills-building course modelled on the Bachelor of Fine Arts (Music Theatre). It’s challenging, it’s great fun, and it’s part time!
Through structured, practical, studio-based training and skill development, students gain professional guidance from highly experienced, friendly tutors. This course is a great way to get immersive triple-threat training alongside other young adults who share a passion for music theatre.
In this course, you will develop fundamental performance skills in a program which includes:
- Structured, practical, studio‐based training and skill development
- Professional guidance from highly experienced and friendly tutors
- Opportunity to work alongside other young adults who share a passion for music theatre
- Immersive triple threat training
- Classes in singing, dance and acting every week
- A supportive group environment
Dedicated artists, practicing educators and industry professionals who will be guiding you include:
- Phoebe Panaretos - a graduate of the VCA Bachelor of Music Theatre course in 2011 and handpicked by Baz Luhrmann to play the lead role of 'Fran' in the world premiere musical adaptation Strictly Ballroom The Musical (for which she was nominated for a Helpmann Award for Best Female In A Musical), 'Connie Francis' in Dream Lover directed by Simon Philips for the Gordon Frost Organisation, Australian premiere of American Idiot in the role of Whatsername at Brisbane's Playhouse Theatre at QPAC, directed by Craig Iloyt.
- David Butler - a graduate of the Victorian College of the Arts (Classical Voice) and is director of the David Butler Studio in Melbourne, Australia. His stage and performance credits include creating the role of 'Frou' in the Australian premiere season of Indigenous children’s opera Laugh Out Loud, 'Police Commissioner Frank' in Strauss’ Die Fledermaus, understudying the role of 'Le Dancaire' in Bizet’s Carmen and performed as solo bass for Faure’s Requiem, Handel’s Messiah, Rossini’s Petite Messe Solenelle, Purcell’s Dido and Aeneas and King Arthur.
- Trent Baker - actor, theatre director and educator who is currently the head of acting at The National Theatre Drama School in Melbourne. Baker has played the title role in Macbeth for MTC Education and most recently performed in National tours of David Williamson’s Managing Carmen and Elizabeth Coleman’s Its my party and I’ll die if I want to. His television credits include; City Homicide, Tangle, Satisfaction, Neighbours, Blue Heelers, Round the Twist, On the Beach, Child Star, feature films Dingo, Frank and Jerry, The Caretaker, When Darkness Falls and the Tropfest finalist film Beggars Belief.
VCA Music Theatre training is disciplined and intense – Music Theatre Studio reflects this philosophy. Enrol now to strengthen your talents, learn new skills and take your passion for music theatre to the next level.
"It is the best experience I could've been given at this time in my life." Music Theatre Studio Participant
Limited places. Book Now to secure your place! to secure your place!
How to apply
Entry to this course is via audition, to be held on Saturday 3 Feb 2018. A non-refundable $30 audition fee will be charged.
Auditionees will need to be available to attend a 2.5-hour group audition between 9am and 5pm. No specific preparation is necessary. Exact times will be confirmed by Wednesday, 24 January 2018.
Some experience in singing, dancing or acting is recommended, though not essential. This course is suitable for age 16 and above.
9:30am – 3:45pm
24 February 2018 – 3 November 2018
(excludes breaks and public holidays)
Applicable to successful applicants after the audition
Pay by Instalments
1st instalment of $1000, followed by 5 instalments of $660 per month
Total instalment fee is $4300 inclusive of GST. Discount not applicable
For further information please contact:
T: +61 3 9035 5441