Jim Marks Postgraduate Scholarship
The Jim Marks postgraduate scholarship is provided to support currently enrolled graduate students in any discipline taught at the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music.
The total value of scholarships offered will be approximately $6,500. Multiple scholarships will be offered.
Open and closing dates
Applications are now open at this link. They will close at 11.59PM Tuesday 23 April.
Shortlisted applicants will be required to attend an interview to further discuss their proposal. This interview will take place in the afternoon on Tuesday 14 May 2019. Applicants can expect to receive an outcome by the end of May.
Criteria and eligibility
This scholarship is open for award annually to currently enrolled graduate students in any discipline taught at the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music, who are Australian citizens or permanent residents, and can demonstrate financial need. Applicants will be asked to put forward a project or funding proposal relating to their artistic practice. Short listed applicants are required to attend an audition interview.
Applications will be assessed by the selection committee on the basis of:
- artistic and merit, as demonstrated by previous academic achievement (VCE or equivalent; other tertiary results) and CV;
- career aspirations (addressed through questions in the application process);
- travel and/or project plan (outlining project/teacher/masterclass/tertiary intentions; detailed budget requirements; letters of support; etc); and
- likely success in completing the proposed project/benefitting from the travel plan (addressed through questions in the application process).
Short listed applicants are required to attend an audition interview, where their project or funding proposal will be assessed. This interview may be by phone or Skype if the shortlisted applicant cannot attend in person.
The Dean, on the recommendation of the graduate committee, will approve the receipients, who will be notified via email of the outcome. All other unsuccessful receipients will be emailed.
Previous successful projects
Examples of previous successful projects include, but are not limited to:
- Contribute towards post production costs of an independent film
- Attend a summer school
- Travel overseas to collect source material
- Training with Musicians without borders
- Fund a duo to tour and provide workshops in SE Asia
- Contribute towards a production shoot, including hire a make up artist, sound recordist, transport and catering
- Travel to enhance scholarly networks
- Travel to present papers and work on collaborative projects
To accept this scholarship, successful recipients are required to write a letter of thanks and provide an artistic biography for the donors or trustees. On occasion recipients will be contacted to provide a progress report.
How to apply
Refer to the Open and Closing Dates section above for the application link. The link will only be visible during the application period.
The application will require personal information, including course and year level, and some questions addressing the selection criteria listed above. You will be required to attach some documents, such as CV and academic transcript and, where relevant, there will be the option to include any support material that gives weight to your application. Where financial need is a consideration, you'll also be asked to provide an estimate of your budget for the year ahead.