Hutchinson Indigenous Fellowship and Residency
The Hutchinson Indigenous Residency has been created to provide Victorian Aboriginal emerging artists with financial support to explore ideas and develop skills that will develop new iterations of cultural practice and development and build their practice into the future. The Hutchinson Indigenous Residency award will be a cash grant of $40,000, payable in two instalments, with an additional amount up to $5,000 towards the cost of materials, payable on receipt of invoices.
Applicants for the Hutchinson Indigenous Residency will need to meet the following criteria in order to be considered eligible:
- Be a Victorian Indigenous arts practitioner (Visual or Performing) who identifies with at least one of the 38 languages (or 11 language families) of Victoria.
- Have a successful record over at least three years as an Indigenous arts practitioner; a degree in a relevant discipline would be favourably viewed.
- Have three or more years’ relevant experience in a related industry.
WHAT TO CONSIDER BEFORE PREPARING YOUR APPLICATION
Applicants are to provide the following by the publicised closing date:
a. An up to date Curriculum Vitae (CV).
b. A Project Outline of up to 1,500 words including the following:
- A statement how your Aboriginality informs your arts practice;
- A clear vision of the purpose and outcome of the residency with a set of public outcomes resulting from the residency: e.g. a lecture, performance, exhibition, installation, publication, recording, broadcast (online or physical);
- A description of the project to be developed during the residency including details of how the project will:
- Benefit from the available resources at the Victorian College of the Arts, The Wilin Centre for Indigenous Arts and/or the Grimwade Centre for Cultural Conservation;
- Enhance the career of the applicant;
- Increase the profile of Victorian Aboriginal cultural practice.
- A budget detailing materials and other resources required to complete the project.
c. Contact details for two referees who may be approached by the selection panel.
d. Details of previous or present exhibitions and/or publications including, if relevant, images or a showreel of their current portfolio of work.
This application consists of three pages of questions:
- Personal details
- Uploads and long answer questions
- Agreement and submission
You can save your application and return to it during the application period. Applications are accepted all year, applications received by 31st August will be considered for the 2017 Hutchinson Indigenous Residency. Applications received from 1st September will be considered for the 2018 residency.
How to apply
Please click here to apply.