- A deep understanding of the discipline of design for screen
- Ability to take on key roles in the development of artistic works including decision making, implementation of ideas and leadership of teams
- Learn to research broadly, analyse findings and apply them within the context of designing for screen
- Excellent written, oral and visual communication skills for the successful presentation of your design concepts
- Cross-discipline collaboration skills, knowledge about other disciplines and the ability to work alongside others to produce creative works.
The Master of Production Design for Screen is a professional coursework masters degree that provides you with key skills, knowledge and the experience necessary to work in design for film, television and associated screen-based media, including television commercials, music videos and documentaries. The course is delivered through formal classes, workshops, studio exercises and practical skills training. The first year is structured to include intensive training and skills development, it is followed by a more flexible second year of primarily practice-based learning that includes placements on films (and other screen-based productions) professionally produced in the industry or with the VCA’s student film productions.
The course also helps you to develop links with the profession through a range of guest lecturers from the industry as well as the option of participating in an industry placement. The program welcomes applicants from a variety of backgrounds including theatre, industrial, textile, interior, fashion and graphic design, architecture, illustration, the film and television industry and the visual arts.
After completion of the program you will have been trained to industry standard, ready to begin work on productions. This course also provides a pathway to a PhD.