Financial Assistance

If you are an international student, you may be eligible for a range of scholarships or grants.

Please contact the School to find out more


All domestic undergraduate students enrol in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP), which is subsidised by the Australian Government. Students pay a contribution amount that is determined by the Australian Government, based on the subjects undertaken. More details on fees and student contribution amounts.


As a domestic student, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the Australian Government. FEE-HELP is a loan from the government that covers the payment of your tuition fees. You don't have to pay anything back until you start paid work, and earn above the compulsory repayment threshold. You may also be eligible to apply for income support while you study, via the Australian Government's Austudy, ABSTUDY or Youth Allowance financial support schemes.


All commencing domestic undergraduate students at the University of Melbourne will be enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP). A CSP is a higher education place for which the Australian Government provides funding towards the cost of a student's education. Students only pay a proportion of the cost of their fees through a student contribution. Eligible students may also be able to use a government loan called HECS-HELP to help pay their remaining student contribution.


HECS-HELP is available to eligible Australian citizens and permanent humanitarian visa holders who are enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP). If you are a Permanent Resident or New Zealand citizen, you must pay your student contribution amount at enrolment.


The University has a range of scholarships available to domestic undergraduate students. The VCA offers an array of scholarships available for current undergraduate students. Selection is generally based on academic merit or financial need, and determined through consultation with Heads of Schools, year level coordinators, teaching staff and the Dean of the Faculty.


The University of Melbourne provides the Student Financial Aid service to assist students who face financial barriers to their studies. Financial Aid provides advice and information on: the cost of living in Melbourne, student loans and grants, government student assistance, budgeting, tax, and other matters related to student finances.

Next : Apply now

Have a question? Make an enquiry

Thank you for your enquiry. One of our staff members will be in contact within the next three business days.